Saturday, August 16, 2008

What A Weekend


Boy was it a busy a weekend so far! Last night we attended our Newborn Prep class. We learned all about how to perform CPR on an infant. It was a lot like CPR on an adult. I thought that it would be different but it really isn't. We also learned what to do if your child is choking. I'm glad they went over that because how many times do you hear about kids choking on hot dogs and things like that. Now we know what to do and can be prepared. It was a little uncomfortable for me though because we were using our hands a lot and my hands were swelling really bad! I have never had them swell up that bad before. They were really tight and itched a lot. Even Cris was shocked at how bad they were. It took a little while but after running them under cold water in the bathroom, I was able to get the swelling to go down a little.

I learned a lot of little interesting facts too, like normal vaseline is better to use on a baby's bum instead of Desitin. You shouldn't use baby powder either. I already knew that you shouldn't use baby powder but it was nice to hear it from the professionals.

Today we had our Child Birthing class. Between the two classes, today's was definitely the best. We went over the different stages of labor and what I'll have to go through. I really enjoyed practicing the breathing and relaxation techniques. But I would have to say that my favorite part of today was when we were practicing different labor positions with breathing techniques and Cris was massaging my back! It felt so good : ). Cris is going to be such a great labor partner! I'm so lucky to have him. It is nice to know that he will be there for me during everything and really cares. There were some fathers at the class that didn't want to be there and you could tell. It was a good thing we took this class and I would recommend to any first time parent to take one like it. It was well worth it!

1 comment:

Holly and Steve said...

It sounds like they both were great classes. I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'll have to take them when I get pregnant. That would really help me and steve.